Summer Sports Challenge
Posted on 06/07/2018
In preparation for the introduction of the Daily Mile in September and with the school holidays fast approaching, we are launching an exciting challenge to keep you and your family active and therefore healthy over the prolonged break. We have no doubt that you will be aware of the increasing concerns regarding childhood obesity in the UK. It has therefore never been more important to encourage young people to put down their controllers and get out into the fresh air for some fun!
This summer we are challenging all of our amazing students to be more active than ever. The aim is to use the ideas below and the ‘Holiday Activity Log’ provided to help your child to carry out daily physical activity.
Holiday Activity Log
Below are the Government’s recommendations for Children and Young People aged 5-18:
- All children and young people should engage in moderate to vigorous intensity physical activity for at least 60 minutes and up to several hours every day.
- Vigorous intensity activities, including those that strengthen muscle and bone, should be incorporated at least three days a week.
- All children and young people should minimise the amount of time spent being sedentary (sitting) for extended periods.
Here are just some of the activities going on in the local area that your child, and even you, could get involved with!
- ‘One You Couch to 5K’ is an app that can be downloaded for free. The programme is designed for beginners to gradually build up their running ability so they can eventually run 5km without stopping. Simply download it and follow the week by week guidance.
- Parkrun organise free, weekly, 5km timed runs. They are open to everyone, free, and are safe and easy to take part in. The nearest park runs in this area are Moors Valley, Kings Park in Bournemouth and Poole Park, all of which start at 9.00.
- New Forest Waterpark
- Dorset Waterpark
- Activate Trampolining Park
- Ice Hockey
- Cycling E.g. Castlemain trail to Moors Valley
- Brisk dog walk
- Tennis E.g. At Ferndown Tennis Club
- Paddle boarding